Sunday, January 22, 2012

As You Like It

As You Like It As You Like It – William Shakespeare
Evan’s ESS = 9.9 out of 10
Erin’s ESS = out of 10
Content = PG (Banishment, Mild Adult Content, Feats of Strength) 

“All the world’s a stage.”
“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.”

Why:  Oh, we like it!  In fact, we like it a lot!!!
Upon suffering an unjust banishment, Rosalind and her best friend decided to flee to the Forest of Arden.  They solicit the help of the friendly court jester and mask their true identities before setting out on the road.  In the forest the two women encounter various sheep herders and other banished individuals, including Rosalind’s primary love interest.  Her path is hardly conventional but in the end love triumphs... or does it.    
We’re back above the surface with Shakespeare!  In fact, our first reaction is to brand As You Like it as our favorite Shakespeare to date.  Not exactly sure why this one in particular had such an impact, but we found ourselves really getting into the plot.  Talk about a super-duper happy ending!  The characters of Rosalind and Orlando were our favorites and the element of disguise in their forest encounter was a nice touch and maybe a wee bit weird.  Plus, not many people could pull off Orlando’s excuse for standing up Rosalind: Lion attack.  That would never work for us.  Seriously, honey, this huge flippin lion came along and, um, I had to wrestle it and ya, that’s why I’m late.  Um, why are you looking at me like that...  seriously, here’s a bloody handkerchief to prove it.
Also, we’re not sure if a court jester would be our first selection for protection on the road, but Touchstone was quite impressive.  At one point he proclaimed in the name of love that: I will kill thee a hundred and fifty ways.  We didn’t even know there were that many different ways to exterminate an individual. 
Tragedy or Comedy? That IS the question (sorry for that).  Still, As You Like it might just have tipped the scales...  The 2006 film directed by Kenneth Branagh is being added to our Netflix queue immediately and local theatre companies within a 50-75 mile radius are being searched!
Oh, and don’t forget to head on over to A Literary Odyssey for all your January Shakespeare needs!

9 comments:

  1. I don't think I've taken the time to let you guys know how much I like your blog and your reviews. Such a balanced system you have here. Belle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BookBelle,
      Thanks so much for the nice comment! Good to know balance has been obtained. We feel quite unbalanced most days....

      Delete
  2. Rosalind is probably my all-time favorite Shakespeare character - so glad you like the play and R&O.

    PS - I agree with BookBelle...what fantastic blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Shakespeare's comedies!!! I love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your (very pleasant) mother cleaned my teeth this morning and we got to talking about writing, since that's what I do. :) She hooked me up with your blog. And so, I thought I'd stop over and say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't really like Branagh's adaptation, which was disappointing, because his adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing is one of my favorite movies.

    This play, also, is not my favorite. But I do like several of the characters, and the masquerading as a boy who's acting like a girl...classic Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I plan on reading this one this week. Can't wait now. I liked the sound of the plot when I read the back of it in the shop but your review has me convinced I will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this one. I used to be really into Shakespeare and I guess I just started getting interested in other stuff. It sounds like I should go back and read this one though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished it and loved it too. Felt very sorry for Phebe though.

    ReplyDelete