Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Top 10 books tackling "tough" issues

Question: Top 10 books tackling “tough” issues


Answer:  We’re not saying we agree with every last idea presented in the books below (we’re not saying we don’t either), but we applaud the authors for taking on some pretty significant issues.  Pardon our carelessly general categorizations this week – time was unkind...


  1. To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) – Racial injustice
  2. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller) – Government/military bureaucracy
  3. Animal Farm (George Orwell) – Farm animal uprisings... wait no, oppressive regimes
  4. The Grapes of Wrath (John Stienbeck) – Plight of migrant workers
  5. All Quiet on the Western Front (Erich Maria Remarque) – Consequences of Combat  
  6. Les Misérables (Victor Hugo) – Social Injustices
  7. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand) – Excessive government regulations
  8. Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury) – Censorship
  9. The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood) – Women's rights
  10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry) Social injustices

Have a great week and head on over to The Broke and the Bookish to join the fun!

6 comments:

  1. Great list. I didn't think of The Handmaid's Tale but I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only read To Kill a Mockingbird.

    My Top Ten

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-ten-books-that-tackle-tough-issues.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Handmaid's Tale. Good call.

    Please visit my blog and sign up for my first Giveaway!

    Anne
    http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Animal Farm is on my list as well. Orwell wrote some really good, really insane, books.

    I read Catch-22 in 6th grade for school -- I think I was too young to understand it, and I'm not sure why we read it. I don't remember anything about it, except that I didn't like it. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT list. I love The Handmaid's Tale. Anything by Margaret Atwood really.

    ReplyDelete