Monday, March 14, 2011

The Old Man and the Sea

The Old Man and the SeaThe Old Man and the Sea – Ernest Hemingway
Evan’s ESS = 6.5 out of 10
Erin’s ESS =  out of 10
Content = G (Prejudices, Fishing Metaphors, Epic Man vs Marlin Battle)

“Let him think that I am more man than I am and I will be so.”

Why: Every now and then you come across a book where you pretty much know what the plot is going to be about before you even crack the spine.  The Old Man and the Sea is a story about, well, an elderly man and his adventure at sea.  That being said, the story could also be appropriately titled:  The Old Man and the Really, Really Huge Fish.  

As to the actual content of The Old Man and the Sea, there is little to say.  The novella is only 127 pages, yet we were pleasantly surprised.  Nothing ground breaking, but we could really understand the motivation and emotions of the main character.  The relationship between the old man and the boy (another possible title) is also very touching and real.  Overall, we came away from this story feeling satisfied and with a pleasant smile pasted on our face.  There was suspense, there was tragedy, and the plot was tied up nicely.  Next up on our Hemingway reading list: For Whom the Bell Tolls.  

4 comments:

  1. I read this one in middle school, still one of my favorites!
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't do this one... Can't do it!

    You've received an award on my blog: www.thinkingcatblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ashamed to say that I haven't read this book. *shame

    I love your alternative titles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The success of Old Man and the Sea IMO lies in Hemingway's ability to drive home a single, powerful image throughout the entire novella. McCarthy's "The Road" comes to mind as a similar achievement. The Old Man and the Sea is one of my favorite Hemingways...one of my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete