Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Top 10 Characters we'd name our children after

 
The Question: Top ten characters we’d name our children after. 

The Answer: Every now and then a topic is presented for Top 10 Tuesday that can cause (how can we put this delicately), slight differences in opinions.  We’re not saying the topic for this week falls into this category; however we will admit that voices were raised...   As you can imagine, the below 10 answers may vary greatly depending on which Bibliomaniac you ask.

 
  1. Scout – (To Kill a Mockingbird) – There’s no debate on this one, our favorite child name from all of literature (Probably).
  2. Rhett – (Gone with the Wind) – Frankly, we don’t give a darn – we’re choosing this name.
  3. Georgia – (Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging) – Maybe not the attitude or the drama, but as for her name, she passes our test.
  4. Adéle – (Jane Eyre) – Doesn’t it just roll off the tongue.  Plus, we’ll take the French accent as well.
  5. Tristan – (Stardust) – Okay, his name from the book is actually Tristran, but in the movie it’s Tristan so that should still count, right?
  6. Pippin – (Lord of the Rings) – Easily our favorite name from all of middle earth.
  7. Yvaine – (Stardust) – High points on the uniqueness yet practical scale.  It might take some getting used to but we could see a little Yvaine running around the house.
  8. Gale – (The Hunger Games) – If we had to pick a team in the series we were probably team Peeta, although for a child’s name, we’re team Gale all the way.
  9. Lisbeth – (The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo) – So far we have mixed feelings on this review and by mixed we mean that one of the Two Bibliomaniacs didn’t like it.  As soon as the second Bibliomaniac finishes we’ll post our official position.  Still, we liked the name.
  10. Dickon – (The Secret Garden) – While we probably wouldn’t pick this name for our child, we do want our next boy to be just like him.

Have a great week and head on over to The Broke and the Bookish to join the fun!

24 comments:

  1. Scout and Lisbeth made my list, too. :) Pippin is such a cute name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite agree with y'all on Gale, Pippin, and Dickon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh...i like Adele. I also like Giselle, but my ex husband thought it sounded too much like gazelle. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oliver after - well Dickens liked the name too.
    I loved Titus Groan in Ghormenghast but I don't think I'd call my poor child that.
    Pippin is a lovely name, but for a young child. Can you imagine a hulking rugby player called Pippin or Robin?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Pippin is a sweet nickname :) Scout made lots of lists--terrific choice. Here is my top 10 post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I nominated you for an award! Please check it out on http://ottilieweber.blogspot.com Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Tristan on my list too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pippin is a fun name, and I love Yvaine. Hadn't thought of Lisbeth, but that's a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Yvaine. But then again, I am the one with the son who has as one of his 4 legal names, KeKumu'mau'o'ka'lani!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Georgia! Lisbeth! Dickon! You've got some great ones I hadn't thought of. Nice list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some great names on your list! I like Tristan as well

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Dickon is a good one. He was such a gentle, kind soul, wasn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good call on Scout and Pippin, I love those names (and the characters too). I haven't read Stardust, but Tristan and Yvaine are fabulous names!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scout is such a cute name! I chose Atticus from the same book.

    Reading Lark's Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  15. OOO amazing list! Totally agree w/ the Stardust names and Pippin (Love that name :D)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I really like Pippin and Tristan. I think my mom actually wanted to call me Pippen when she was going through her Harlequin Romance fase. Hehe! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. and Congratulations! You won the Stylish Blogger Award on my blog! Check it out - http://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/2011/02/confessions-of-readaholic-stylish.html

    Rabiah @ Confessions of a Readaholic

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! How fun. What a great list; I'll have to think about this one myself - I especially like Georgia and Rhett - I don't know why; they just sound so cute for a lil kid.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey! I found you on Jay's blog (Bibliophilopolis) and this was as good a post as any to tell you I like your blog. I'm a new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love Pippin and Scout. Adel is my middle name and I hate it. lol

    I also love Atticus from To kill a mocking bird.

    ReplyDelete