Friday, November 19, 2010

Greatest Overated High Seas Adventure Novel

Cover by Geoff Hunt for Master and Commander.Master and Commander – Patrick O’Brian
Evan’s ESS = 5 out of 10
Erin’s ESS =  out of 10
Content = (Adult Content, Aggressive Language, Seafaring Violence, High Sea Treachery)

Why:  There are really only 5 nautical phrases that we know and understand.  In complete random order they are as follows:

“Trim the main sail.”
“Man overboard!”
“All hands on deck.”
“I’m afraid she’s run aground, Captain.”
“Go, go, go, go, go, there’s a huge freak’in shark behind the boat.”

This being said, it you are unable to speak early 19th century seaman, don’t waste your precious time with Master and Commander.  Captain Jack Aubrey’s high sea adventures are infamous to many in the world of literature, but during almost every battle scene we didn’t know if the main character was commanding a full broadside or requesting a fried bologna sandwich with extra mayo and pickle.  Plus, what the heck is a Sloop? 

If you happen to have a great uncle with a pair of sea legs or you really love Russell Crowe with a pony tail, then I daresay try this one.  It’s your lucky day because there are 20 other books that follow Jack Aubrey and his band of government sponsored pirates.  Personally, we were feeling green after the first sea battle.  Oh, and that reminds us of another phrase, “abandon ship!” 

2 comments:

  1. awww, I haven't read this series yet, but that said, the books are supposed to be classic!

    In any case, a sloop is a kind of sail boat, with only one sail :D
    Visit me back on the hop!
    - Dee, hopping from e-Volving Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the Aubrey/Maturin series. I may not completely understand the vernacular, but I rarely understand a word my wife says and I love HER.

    Matt, not hopping, per se, just checking up on my friends.(www.matthewdbeers.blogspot.com)

    (Evan-I'm trying to drum up some bidness. I'm sure you won't mind.)

    ReplyDelete