Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Greatest Novel within a Novel

The Neverending StoryThe Neverending Story – Michael Ende
Evan’s ESS = 9 out of 10
Erin’s ESS = out of 10
Content = PG (Mild Violence, Auspicious Dragon, Wicked Scary Storms)

Every real story is a never ending story.

Why: What a great movie!  What an even better young adult novel!  You just can’t beat a magical story with reader participation.  Seriously, you can’t – so don’t even try.  Prepare to journey into Fantasia alongside Atreyu and help him save the Childlike Empress and her kingdom from something called the Nothing.  Then prepare to save yourself…  Only those of “noble heart and steely sinew” dare venture forth.

Unfortunately for us, and probably many of you, we watched The Neverending Story before reading it.  Don’t get discouraged though, because the entire second half of the novel is left out of the movie.  Also, the cover art on the 1997 Dutton edition is quite impressive, and even the text itself adds a certain amount of intrigue.  Red and green font is utilized throughout to designate the two storylines taking place in each parallel world.  We enjoyed novel immensely and were even more surprise to see just how similar the movie dialogue was to the book. 

Lastly, The Neverending Story will teach you the importance of loving yourself as you are.  Pardon us for channeling Dr. Phil, but it’s always a bonus when a novel is able to learn you something.  What a great novel to read with your children and then break out the 1984 film.  It won’t be long before they’re begging you to go to the pet store and buy a luckdragon!

Editor’s note: Contrary to what the title would have you believe, the story does actually end.

4 comments:

  1. Forget the kids...I want a luckdragon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I have the theme song from the movie stuck in my head!

    FYI - New Found Glory did a great punk-rock cover of the theme song a while back... it was pretty cool.

    Why am I talking about music? Maybe you should jump on over to my blog and see!

    eofftherecord.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog! In response to your comment...

    I did a LOT of research before deciding on the nook. The biggest reasons I ended up choosing the nook were 1) it will accept the biggest amount of different formats, and 2) according to the B&N webiste, there are over 2 million titles available for the nook. Also, I've found out that by using Calibre (online software) you can actually convert some types of ebooks into the format that is usable on your ereader. Besides that, at $99 for a certified pre-owned nook with wi-fi, I couldn't really go wrong. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel a little dumb saying I didn't realize this was a book! Should have known that, huh? This was one of my favorite movies growing up but some parts definitely made me cover my eyes.

    Think it's been a long enough time since I've seen the movie to think about reading the book. The Princess Bride, though, is a book I'm not sure I can read after loving the movie so much.

    ReplyDelete