Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Top 10 fiction books we'd save if our house was....


Question: Top 10 fiction books we’d save if our house was....

Answer: Whether it’s fire or aliens, this week we’ve been asked to choose our 10 favorite books from our personal library? Really, only 10? A small tear is forming in the corner of our left eye... If nothing else this week has forced us to discuss and update our own HLDP (Home Library Disaster Plan). After several tweaks and multiple dry runs, we feel confident we could save 19 books in a matter of 30 seconds. Of course, then we remembered the kids....


Below are the first 10 fiction books and editions we’re going after in case of disaster:



The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)

The Hobbit

I Capture the Castle (Dodie Smith)

I Capture the Castle

To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)

To Kill a Mockingbird


Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austin)

Pride and Prejudice

The Eyre Affair (Jasper Fforde)
The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)

James and the Giant Peach (Roald Dahl)
James and the Giant Peach

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide: Complete and Unabridged (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1-5 + short story)

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Ray Bradbury)
Something Wicked This Way Comes

Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
Life of Pi

The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
The Grapes of Wrath


Wow that was difficult!  What novels would you save?  Have a great week and head on over to The Broke and the Bookish to join the fun!

7 comments:

  1. I thought this week's TTT was super-tough too! I don't know why I didn't include any Jane Austen...what was I thinking??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those are beautiful. I had trouble with this one too. I didn't just want to put books that I liked, because I don't feel like they are irreplaceable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous list! I've seen Austen on a lot of lists, and I definitely agree with Hitchhiker's Guide. In comparison to the end of the earth, a little fire wouldn't seem so scary. : /

    See what I'd save from a fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read and love every single one of these books! I think Hitchhiker would be great to read when you're sad about your house burning down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome list, I'd definitely want To Kill a Mockingbird, The Hobbit and Pride and Prejudice on my list. P&P is my all time favorite book!

    -Kate the Book Buff
    Recent Post: NEWS FLASH! Nicholas Sparks' Safe Haven Movie is in the Works, A-Lister in Talks to Star

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I could, I would save all of my Trixie Belden books. This is the series that started my love affair.

    ReplyDelete