We boldly proclaim that each day of the week preceding Wednesday shall henceforth be known as “Top Ten Tuesday” (please update your calendars)! This historic decision has come about after the discovery of The Broke and the Bookish blog. Each week fellow bloggers are invited to ponder and rank a new literary related subject. Because of our similar fondness for lists we are all too excited to participate.
This week’s subject for consideration is: “Top 10 Characters I’d Like to Be Best Friends With”
1. Melanie Wilkes (Gone with the Wind) – We were soooo tempted to pick Rhett with this one (we still think we would have done well as part of his entourage), but it’s impossible to overlook Melly. She has every characteristic we’d want in a friend and we’d promise not to take her for granted like Scarlet and Ashley.
2. Charlie Bucket (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) – Seriously, he owns an entire Chocolate factory! Oh, and we’re sure his personality is endearing too…
3. Georgia Nicolson (Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging) – After reading this novel our life-long ambition is to become part of the ACE gang. We totally want to cast aside our annoying American Midwestern accent for a British one.
4. Frodo Baggins (The Return of the King) – We would love to sit down and have a prolonged conversation with Frodo right before he boards the ship at the Grey Havens. Sam and Gandalf are welcome to join us if they’d like – the ale’s on us.
5. Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice) – Oh, to be able to stroll along a garden path alongside Lizzy. Despite her tendency to be a tad bit prejudice, we’d accompany her to any social and maybe she’d invite us over to peruse Darcy’s library!
6. Thursday Next (The Eyre Affair) – Funny, eccentric, and always caught in a web of literary related hardships. We want to join her as a LiteraTec and with any luck; she’ll teach us how to jump into a novel.
7. Harry, Ron, and Hermione (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) – Since the very beginning we wanted to pal around with Harry and Co. Unfortunately, as Dumbledore would have never let us into Hogwarts, Deathly Hallows would have been our best chance to befriend the chosen one. We’re relatively confident that we could have lent a helping hand in the Horcrux search.
8. Scout Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird) – We would love to have an opportunity to spend a summer with Scout, Jem, and Dill. We’d even volunteer to ding-dong-ditch Boo Radley.
9. Peter Pan (Peter Pan) – Unfortunately, this one would be a conditional friendship. As long as Peter could convince Tink to share a little of her pixie dust, we’d be friends. Otherwise the fly‘in green kid’s a little too arrogant and obsessed with pirates for our liking.
10. Dirk Pitt (Atlantis Found) – We admit he’s rather shallow and his one liners are quite predictable – still, there’s no one we’d rather have on our side if a German industrialist ever decided to separate the polar ice shelves and take over the world.
Also, we’re particularly fond of followers on this blog… give us try and we will be sure to return the favor!